Charlottesville, VA: SmarTech Markets Publishing, the leading supplier of industry analysis for the 3D printing/additive manufacturing sector, has launched a new series of reports on patents in the 3D printing/additive manufacturing sector. See https://www.smartechpublishing.com/patent-reports/
During 2016, SmarTech plans to publish four reports in this series covering (1) 3D-printed metals, (2) 3D-printed polymers, (3) production-grade 3D printers and (4) low-cost 3D printers. The report on 3DP metals patents has already been published and the report on polymer metals patents will be published in June. Each SmarTech 3D patent report:
- Presents the quantitative patent landscape that is essential to identifying the players, technologies, patent filing velocity, geographic distribution, and technology classifications in in the 3DP patents area.
- Offers two components – (1) a 3d-printed patent database in Excel format so that the purchasers of this report can perform his or her own analytics with the data and (2) a granular analysis, commentary and guidance on the 3D printed patent environment.
We believe that the reports in this series will be required reading for IP professionals, product managers and others at firms in 3DP industry.
These reports are based on an extensive search of relevant patents and patent applications published after December 1, 1995 from the US and WO patent databases and identify a broad, yet relevant patent landscape related to various technologies and materials in the 3D printing space.
Metals Patent Study: Just Published
The first of these SmarTech patent studies — “3D-Printed Metals: A Patent Landscape Analysis – 2016.” provides a full-scale assessment of the patent landscape for 3D-printed metals and is available now. Among the topics covered in this report are:
- Expectations for key 3D-printed metal markets
- Key patent assignees: top companies
- Universities and research institutions active in developing patents
- Top ten inventors in subject field
- Patent filing trends by publication date
- Key patent references by forward citation
- USC distribution by main U.S. technology classifications and sub-classifications
- IPC distribution by main IPC technology classifications
- Evolution of technology, by patent assignee
- Technology evolution by U.S. class and by IPC class
- The publication of relevant patent references in the U.S. and WIPO jurisdictions, 2006 to 2016
- Distribution of metal powders used for 3D printing technology
- Trends in patent abandonment
- Rate of patent survivorship by year
The processes covered in this report comprise: selective heat sintering/laser melting, stereololithography, fused deposition modeling, robocasting, electron beam manufacturing, ultrasonic consolidation, laser powder forming/laser engineered net shaping, direct metal laser sintering/melting, electron beam melting, powder bed, binder jetting, drop-on powder, etc.
The next report in this series will be on 3D printed polymers and others will follow in the second half of this year. The reports in this series are aimed at patent attorneys, engineers, investment banks and others who need a comprehensive overview of 3D-printed metals activities.
SmarTech believes that understanding the patent landscape will build competitive advantage for purchasers of these report, and may enable firms to, for example, secure IP in sectors of the 3D printed metals space that are less populated, and also avoid patent disputes.
SmarTech Markets Publishing is the leading provider of industry analysis for the 3D printing/additive manufacturing sector. See more: www.smartechpublishing.com
Contact: Lawrence Gasman