Crozet, Virginia: SmarTech Publishing, the leading provider of in-depth industry analysis services to the additive manufacturing and 3D printing industry, has just published its latest market research study titled, “3D Printing in Dentistry 2018, An Opportunity Analysis and Ten-Year Forecast.” In the report the firm predicts that by 2027, the dental market will represent a $9.5 billion (USD) opportunity.
For more details on the report, please go to
Strong performance during the 2017 calendar year has been the result of widespread increases in acceptance and integration for 3D printing solutions within the global community of leading dental technology and solutions providers.
The total dental printing industry is anticipated to have grown by over 35 percent year-over-year for the second year in a row during 2017.
SmarTech Publishing fully believes that by 2027, 3D printing technologies will become the leading production source for dental restorations and devices worldwide, overtaking digital subtractive milling and traditional analog fabrication processes.
About the Report:
Additive manufacturing and 3D printing technologies continue to benefit from the global dental industry push towards digital processes, and heading into 2018 it appears that a global tipping point has been reached with printing poised to benefit the most over the coming decade when comparing available digital dentistry solutions like subtractive milling. Milling technologies still hold a majority share on the production volumes for permanent aesthetic dental restorations made in materials such as ceramics or dental composites, but 3D printing is outpacing milling growth thanks to its abilities in areas which provide a high degree of value-add for both dental laboratory technicians, dentists, orthodontists, and oral surgeons.
Over the next ten years, SmarTech Publishing anticipates that dental printing technologies which utilize both metal and resin based printing processes will revolutionize the dental industry through their ability to not only produce today’s wide range of high value dental devices, but also ultimately in the production of the full spectrum of accepted permanent dental restorations and prosthetics.
This new study, the third dedicated dental 3D printing market study published by SmarTech since 2013, has integrated an expanded market model scope providing detailed market forecast insights perfected over the past four years of interacting with the dental printing community. These latest revisions and updates provide unprecedented visibility and accuracy into market opportunity.
Featuring over 200 pages of analysis and data, market forecasts in this study include:
- Market opportunity segments forecasted through 2027 in terms of dollars, unit and material shipments, installations, and penetration rate analysis. Hardware and material elements are split by print relevant dental technologies and associated materials. These classic SmarTech metrics have been even further calibrated to reflect the last two years of rapid growth along with a ten year forecast of future opportunities
- For the first time, major revenue generating opportunity categories are now also split in terms of geographic region and major contributing countries, reflecting the varying economic and societal factors affecting dental care in these individual countries
- In addition, dental 3D printing hardware and material forecasts, and market share calculations, are now split by dental end-user group, reflecting the growing adoption of 3D printing by practicing dentists, orthodontists, and oral surgeons, which will alter the market landscape over time from the traditional dental laboratory market
- Production volume forecasts for various 3D printable dental devices and restorations are provided and have been updated to reflect the latest findings resulting from extensive industry interviewing and application-based analysis conducted by SmarTech Publishing
From the Report:
- Today, in the laboratory setting, it is common for both additive and subtractive systems to coexist as part of a digital workflow strategy. Speaking generally, current subtractive CADCAM systems are highly aligned with the fabrication of restorations for aesthetic dentistry using dental ceramics. Today, there is a well-rounded and inclusive market opportunity for the coexistence of both subtractive and additive digital systems. However, SmarTech Publishing believes that, ultimately, the ability for resin-based 3D printing technologies to be able to serve true permanent restorations is a realistic possibility and also a severe threat to milling technologies in the medium to long term
- There are several major technological developments currently underway which are propelling additive technologies to what SmarTech believes will result in a dominant position in the dental industry. These include increasing access to sub $5,000 desktop photopolymerization systems which are being combined with certified dental printing resins. SmarTech estimates that Formlabs, who can be credited with mainstreaming this solution, has increased its market share in the dental photopolymerization market more than 20-fold over the last two years
- Metal additive manufacturing will also play an important role in the future of dental printing, thanks to the increasing ability for companies to develop direct-metal dental implant solutions and the global growth in implant dentistry over the last several years. SmarTech estimates that by 2024 that outsourced additive manufacturing of metal dental implant systems will grow to exceed $1B in opportunity
About SmarTech Publishing:
Since 2013 SmarTech Publishing has published reports on all the important revenue opportunities in the 3D printing/additive manufacturing sector and is considered the leading industry analyst firm providing coverage of this sector. Our company has a client roster that includes the largest 3D printer firms, materials firms and investors in the 3DP/AM sector.
For more details on our company go to www.smartechpublishing.com
To Purchase this Report:
For more information or to purchase this report, please contact: