The Smartech Additive Manufacturing Patent Advisory Service
Patents are a significant issue for the additive manufacturing sector. While patent expiration has played a strong role in the overall growth of the industry many 3D printers (from the filament, to the printer heads, software, and circuitry) and 3DP materials are covered by or subject to considerable intellectual property (IP) protection.
And the filing trend continues unabated. According to the US Patent Office, the number of patent applications related to 3D printing has continued to rise each year and there have been over 13,000 AM-related patent applications filed in the past decade.
Companies who fail to do a proper accounting of the IP landscape can find their commercial endeavors stymied and their businesses subject to potentially expensive litigation and payouts. Or, by not surveying the environment they could be missing out on key trends or opportunities.
SmarTech’s Additive Manufacturing Patent Advisory Service provides information and crucial support that 3DP firms needing to make patent-related decisions. It aids our clients in taking advantage of opportunities and avoiding the pitfalls that this avalanche of new patents is creating. SmarTech believes that understanding of AM patent landscapes can build competitive advantage and can enable firms to secure the appropriate IP going forward.
Areas in which this Service Can Help
Depending on the specific needs of our clients, some of the 3D patent-related areas with which SmarTech can help include:
- Current filing trends for patents including patent applications, publications, abandonments and expirations. Coverage is both worldwide and for individual countries
- Identification of key patents based on citations and the role in the evolution of the AM sector. We can also plot the current and past development of 3D printers and related materials and processes based on patent developments
- Identification of key patent holders and individual inventors. We can also provide detailed profiles of these pioneering firms and individuals. SmarTech also offers analysis of the AM-related patents of leading universities and research institutes
- Analysis of what the patent portfolios for AM firms show about their future product and engineering strategies
- Key areas of opportunity for new patent applications and acquisitions in areas of client interest. Also, areas of patent saturation. Also, patent areas, where we see potential for licensing
This service brings together SmarTech’s wealth of understanding of all aspects of the 3DP/AM business with a first-rate patent search capability. The SmartTech Additive Manufacturing Patent Advisory Service is a customized offering, so it can focus on the particular patent-related needs of our clients. This SmarTech service is supported by both patent experts and our SmarTech industry analysts. It is aimed at IP professionals and others in the 3DP industry. It is also aimed at patent attorneys, product managers, engineers, investment banks and others who need a comprehensive overview of patents related to 3D printing.
SmarTech has an insider’s knowledge and understanding of the role that patents are playing in the evolution of the additive manufacturing industry. This enables us to understand the significance of patents in shaping our industry as new patents emerge and others disappear.
SmarTech has extensive experience with analyzing the patent situation in the additive manufacturing business. We have published well-received studies of the patent environments for AM metals and AM polymers. We have also carried out demanding studies for major corporations on how AM patents will impact their businesses. Our expertise in AM patents cover materials, printers as well as 3D-printed parts and tools.
We have the in-house skill set to provide candid market assessments of the patent position currently held by clients. We can also recommend optimal patent strategies for them to best reach their marketing and product goals.
SmarTech patent offerings complement internal product planning and technology roadmapping and provide significant knowledge enhancement for firms in the 3D printing industry.